Food Studies and Catering

Staff

Sarah Smith - Teacher - Food Studies/Catering

Aims of the Department

Our aim is to educate and develop students in:

  • The enjoyment of skilled practical cookery work and the achievement of excellence.
  • Hygienic and safe practice in the kitchen.
  • Encourage and nurture pride, individual creativity and teamwork.
  • Awareness of making healthy eating choices and consider ethical and economic issues.
  • Understand the preparation and cooking of a wide variety of dishes.

About the Course

Food Studies Course - Years 7 to 9

Food Studies is taught to all students at Key Stage 3.

The foundation course aims to develop basic skills to a high standard and offer pupils an opportunity to experience the preparation and cooking of a wide range of dishes. Pupils are taught how to cook a series of classic dishes and then asked to demonstrate their skills and creativity by producing their own variation.

In year 7 pupils explore savoury and sweet dishes to introduce working with the oven safely and developing basic knife skills. Year 8 pupils explore a variety of baked products and begin to explore working with meat, fish and sauces. In year 9 pupils cook dishes which would be suitable for family meals including meat and vegetarian options. During the module pupils consider ethical and financial considerations of the food we buy and eat.

Assessment

Each year at Key Stage 3 pupils are assessed asked to carry out a series of short project of planning, making and evaluating a dish based on the work carried out in that module. This assessment forms the main part of setting the attainment level.

GCSE Catering

Pupils study the catering industry, nutrition and menu planning and by the end of the course pupils will be able to plan, prepare and cost a 3 course meal. To develop a broad range of catering skills throughout the two year course a wide variety of dishes are prepared covering:

  • Soups
  • Sauces
  • Starters
  • Pasta and rice dishes
  • Meat and fish
  • Desserts
  • Cakes and pastries

Assessment

Pupils are assessed on two coursework assignments which combine written planning and review work with practical cooking tasks. The coursework accounts for 60% of the total mark with a written exam accounting for the remaining 40%.